We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Expert tips against pregnancy sickness
Many expectant mothers experience nausea during pregnancy, which in most cases does not pose a health risk, but is extremely unpleasant and requires additional strength. Experts from the University Medical Center Freiburg explain which measures can help to prevent pregnancy sickness.
A well-known example of nausea of pregnancy is the British Duchess Kate, who is currently pregnant with her third child. Many women develop corresponding symptoms during pregnancy, which in most cases remain harmless, but can also lead to serious complications. Gynecologists from the University Medical Center Freiburg explain in a current message what helps against the complaints.
Senses of taste and smell sensitized
During pregnancy, the sense of smell and taste is particularly sensitive and many women react to otherwise pleasant smells such as the smell of fresh coffee with nausea and vomiting. Women feel particularly weak in the stomach during pregnancy, especially in the morning, but it is not uncommon for corresponding symptoms to also appear in the afternoon or at night, reports the Freiburg University Clinic.
Gestational nausea is a common complaint
"Nausea and vomiting at the beginning of pregnancy affect almost three quarters of the expectant mothers," explains Professor Dr. Gerald Gitsch, Medical Director of the Clinic for Gynecology at the University Hospital Freiburg. For these women, pregnancy begins by making them feel miserable. The reasons why some women feel sick while other pregnant women are blooming remain unclear to this day. The combination of different influences probably plays a role, whereby the estrogen and the pregnancy hormone HCG, which is produced in the placenta (mother cake), seem to be largely responsible, according to Prof. Gitsch.
Complaint picture mostly harmless
According to the expert, disorders of the thyroid gland, anxiety, problems or stress are also known as other factors that can lead to an intensification of the symptoms. Here it could already help the women concerned to "talk less about the nausea." According to Prof. Gitsch, pregnancy sickness is usually harmless from a health point of view. "Normal nausea during pregnancy is uncomfortable for the mother, but it is not dangerous for the unborn child"; so Gitsch.
Risks associated with severe forms of nausea during pregnancy
The nausea mostly affects pregnant women between the 5th and 14th week, which is the time in which the baby's entire organs, his arms, legs, ears and nose are put on, reports the University Hospital Freiburg. Then the child continues to grow rapidly and usually the nausea and nausea also disappear. If the course of pregnancy sickness is severe in the form of a so-called hyperemesis gravidarum, from which the Duchess Kate also suffers, there is a considerable risk, according to the experts.
Beware of weight loss
According to Prof. Gitsch, hyperemesis gravidarum occurs when pregnant women vomit more than five times a day, show signs of inadequate food intake and lose weight. About two percent of pregnant women are affected - predominantly young, slim non-smokers and women who are expecting twins. Women who smoked before pregnancy, are overweight or over the age of 35 are less often affected. Basically, a pregnant woman should "always go to the doctor for nausea and vomiting - and of course immediately if she can no longer keep any food with her or is losing weight", warned Professor Gitsch.
- According to the experts, the following measures can help with harmless forms of pregnancy sickness:
- Avoid fatty, very sugary, spicy, fried and spicy foods,
- predominantly consume non-carbonated beverages such as water or tea,
- Before getting up, for example, enjoy a lightly sweetened tea or a glass of orange juice and eat a rusks, then stay for about 20 minutes,
- eat several small meals throughout the day that contain more carbohydrates than usual; absorb lots of fiber from fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plenty of protein and little fat,
- Avoid odors that you are sensitive to during pregnancy, which are often the smell of coffee, meat or perfume,
- avoid vitamin supplements before the 15th or 16th week of pregnancy, because at the beginning pregnant women only need a sufficient dose of folic acid and additional vitamins could strain the stomach because it has to dissolve the capsules, which in turn can increase the nausea.
Even simple home remedies can help against pregnancy. For example, water with lemon slices or the smell of green apples can often provide relief, the Freiburg experts report. (fp)